How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 49845
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I may have to give up work because of chronic pain in the

This answer was rated:

I may have to give up work because of chronic pain in the joints of my hands I'm awaiting an appointment with an orthopaedic surgeon to see what happens next I have been with this firm for 27 years as a butcher and it's a very physical position and deal with very cold temperatures at times I would like to know if I did have to give up work what are my options . Many thanks Mike .

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. Has your actually work caused the issues that are forcing you to give up work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thinks so as I do many all the work with my hands every day I do not do any thing outside work witch would cause this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It can only be due to my work as I have worked with this firm for 27 years next Feb

The first thing to consider is whether you can be retired on health grounds by the employer instead of just resigning. This could allow you to draw out your pension early and perhaps get some benefits which you may have not been able to had you resigned.

In terms of what you can do against the employer then the only possible way to pursue this would be under a personal injury claim. You would be claiming that trough the employer’s negligence you suffered the issues you are experiencing now. However, you would have to show that they should have known of the potential effects of the work you did and that they did not take measures to reduce these risks, when it would have been reasonably expected of them to do so. As it can get complex in such claims it is best if you see a personal injury solicitor to see what your chances of a successful claim are. Many such lawyers can offer a free initial consultation to determine your case. You may wish to do that before you consider approaching the employer with a potential offer of a settlement.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Ben Jones and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you