How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 49865
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Can part of an employment contract be verbal? When I was

This answer was rated:

Can part of an employment contract be verbal?When I was hired for a position in the UK, I was told the position would eventually move to Singapore. This has not been the case, in fact they hired someone else for the Singapore position. Although not in my written contract, can I argue that part of my contract was verbal.Thanks

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. How long have you worked there for?

Please note I am going offline shortly so will reply in the morning, thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1.5 years..

Hi there, many thanks for your patience. It is certainly possible for a contract to be verbal, either in whole or in part. Of course it would be best if you had something in writing because then there would be no dispute as to what was agreed between the parties, but that does not make the verbal part less valid than the written one.

So if this was an unconditional promise on which you relied to take the job, then it can certainly be part of the contract, even if it was only done verbally.

The issue is how you deal with it now. First of all if it was verbal then there may be no other evidence and it is your word against theirs so if they deny it that could make it difficult to prove. Secondly, a breach of contract by an employer is usually dealt with under a constructive dismissal claim, where you are forced to resign because of the breach and then make your claim. However, the minimum service required to be able to claim is 2 years and you do not have that so such a claim is not available to you. It therefore means that the only option for you is to raise a formal grievance and hope it gets resolved that way.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Ben Jones and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you