How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 50178
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I recently lived in London and was interested in doing a

Customer Question

Hi there, I recently lived in London and was interested in doing a naturopathic nutrition course at CNM I was persued by people selling the course and I stupidly signed up the course without realising it was a contract and then my circumstances unexpectedly changed out of the blue and my mother got sick and I had to move. I then had financial responsibilities for my mother also so was no longer in a position to do the course.I cannot do the course and eventhough I explained the inforseen change of circumstances the college are insisting I pay the full fees which is a lot of money despite never having started the course and living too far away to do it. Do I have any right to terminate the contract given my change of circumstances? I felt like they made the hard sell, then are now trying to hold me to ransom?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

How long ago exactly did you sign up to the course?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
In October last year
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

OK, thank you for your response. Leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Unfortunately I can't talk on the phone
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please can you message me instead?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

No problem at all. Leave it with me and I will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. Many thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Am I going to get a response?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I paid already???
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, thanks for your patience and as mentioned earlier I was going to get back to you at the earliest opportunity, which is now.

Under law once you have signed the contract you cannot terminate it without the consent of the other party, or if there was a cancellation clause in it. Whilst your circumstances may have changed as you have described, legally these would not be sufficient to allow you to cancel the contract without any problems.

If they are refusing to let you cancel and you have to pay them, what you can do is consider not paying them anything, or sending them part payment only. They cannot force you to pay them at this stage and the only thing they can do is threaten you for the money owed. However, if they wanted to force you then they must take you to court and win, then enforce the court judgment against you. There is however no guarantee that they will ever go that far. Many companies will make threatening remarks and even instruct debt collectors, but none of these options can force you to pay. So they will actually have to make a court claim against you and win before they can force you to pay anything. This option does have its risks though as there is of course a chance that they may make the claim, but if you wanted to take the risk this is what you can consider doing now.

The alternative, as mentioned, is to send them payment for part of the fees and state that this is made in full and final settlement for the course costs. If they accept the payment, they will then be prevented from taking this further against you.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

My response to your query should be visible on this page. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question or whether you need me to clarify anything else in relation to it? If your query has been answered I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating, selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. I can still answer follow up questions after that if needed. Thank you