Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I'm just wanting to know something as I've been given notice

Hello, I'm just wanting to know something as I've been given notice of Redundancy on Friday 21st of July and have been told that I have 10 weeks notice of which 6 weeks has to be worked & the remaining I will just be paid, which is fine.
But the real reason for contacting you is to find out the meaning of being redundant as I think that it's my Job that redundant where my services are no longer needed?
So why are they asking for me to show someone else to do part of my Job before I finish in my current position??
Many Thanks Carl Pybus

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

What proportion of your responsibilities would this part of your job make up? Please can you also tell me how long you have worked for this employer for?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've worked for this employer for 3 weeks short of 11 years and I would say the job that they want me to teach someone is about 10 to 15% of my job

OK, thank you for your response. Leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Many thanks for your patience. According to the Employment Rights Act 1996, redundancy occurs in the following circumstances:

1. Business closure – where the whole of the employer’s business is closed

2. Workplace closure – closure or relocation of the location where the employee worked

3. Reduced requirement for employees to carry out work of a particular kind

Generally, redundancy occurs when an employer decides to reduce the number of its employees, either within the business as a whole, or within a particular site, business unit, function or job role. There are various reasons why this may happen, such as economic pressure, changes in the nature of products/services offered, internal reorganisation, workplace relocation, etc. The reason for the proposed redundancies will rarely be challenged and the employer will simply have to justify that the actual reason satisfied one of the statutory definition of redundancy above.

One of the frequently misunderstood reasons for redundancy is when it is caused by an alleged reduced requirement for employees to carry out work of a particular kind. Many people think a job has to actually disappear for there to be redundancy but that is not the case and the following are examples of genuine redundancies:

· The same amount of work remains but fewer employees are needed to do it (this can include consolidation of jobs by spreading out certain duties amongst existing employees or outsourcing the work to contractors)

· There is less work of a particular kind and fewer employees are needed to do it (e.g. when a client reduces their work with the employer)

· There is less work of a particular kind, but the same number of employees are required overall (e.g. having to reduce employee’s hours)

If the tasks the new employee will be doping are only 10-15% of your job then it is still rather likely that your job was redundant and small bits of it will remain and be redistributed afterwards. You can expect 100% of a job to disappear for it to be made redundant as long as the overall need for that role is no longer there. But parts of it can remain and be absorbed by others.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks Ben it's really helpful that you have settled this for me so would you say I that I can refuse to show them how I do that part of my job or I'm I shooting myself in the foot with doing this ?

Probably best not to do this as it can be considered a reasonable request by the employer whilst still employed by them.