How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 70225
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

FAO Ben 08/12/2017 09:28 Dear Ben, I hope that you are well.

This answer was rated:

FAO Ben Jones 08/12/2017 09:28 Dear Ben, Good morning. I hope that you are well. I am writing with regard to a previous question. I have received another email from my previous employer in Hong Kong stating that they are now demanding immediate payment (approx £4000) of reimbursements and penalties before they take further action. As you have stated above, they currently only have jurisdiction in HK at the moment. However, this will not stop them from attempting to contact me in the UK. They do have my parents address and I do not want my elderly parents hassled. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Best wishes ********

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

You are correct that there is nothing stopping them from contacting you further, even if you are in the UK and they are in HK. They may even make a court claim, there is nothing preventing that but I am hopeful that the fact this will be a more complex case in terms of cross-jurisdictional factors and the amount that is involved (not that high in corporate terms), means that they will not actually go that far in the end. If it was me, I will likely call their bluff and just see how far they are willing to take it. I will then play it by ear by evaluating their responses and actions and seeing how real the threat of a claim is. They may make a claim in HK courts but without any assets there you should be reasonably safe. I would then wait to see what they do in the event they get a HK judgment against you and if they take any steps to try and transfer it to the UK. There are many steps for them to follow before this comes knocking more seriously on your door and plenty of opportunities for you to consider how seriously to take this and whether to consider later on to offer a potential settlement. For now, there is no need so just try and ride out these threats.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Ben Jones and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Ben. Thanks for your email and advice. I will do as you say and see how it goes. Have a lovely day. Kind regards, ********

you are welcome and all the best for now