Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I am planning to retire on April 2nd 2018. I work as a

Hi. I am planning to retire on April 2nd 2018. I work as a Project Manager for a Global compancy. My company recently though made an announcement which meant that there was the possibility that I may have been able to get VR, so I applied on 8/1/18. My line manager (RC) put this forward to his line (KL) and HR, but this was turned down because KL said they needed to replace and were in fact thinking of getting in a contractor to undertake pipeline work. KL then asked if I would be willing to put in extended notice of resignation because only on the back of this can they start the recruitment process.
I willingly complied, stating that reason for the extended notice and that my leave date would be April 2nd. Since then, I have been thinking. HR cannot confirm my resignation (and dates) because this is an auto generated letter that will be generated on 2nd March.
I have been compliant to their wishes, to make life easier for them, but what do I get out of this. So , I went back to my line manager and asked him to put forward a request that I be paid extra for the extra notice period I have given. I have in effect given them 7 extra weeks notice and am asking for 7 weeks extra pay.Is there any precedent for this type of payment?I have said that I could rescind the notice and only put in the 4 weeks notice as stated in my contract because I don't want to leave until 2/4/18.
Would appreciate any advice you can given please.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
10 yrs on April 7th
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No thank you ..really I just need to understand if there is a precedent and don't want to I did unnecessary costs
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did = incur...predictive text ..apologies

OK no problem at all and thank you for your response. Leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Just to check one thing - you say you have given them 7 weeks extra notice, do you mean you want to be paid as normal for that period AND get an additional 7 weeks' pay on top of that?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
or at least some extra payment.... So I am expecting to be paid normally until 2nd April, then hope to have an extra payment for giving them the extra 7 weeks formal notice. My contract is 4 weeks notice

Legally, there is no precedent for this, meaning that you cannot force them to make such a payment. You are doing them a favour and in return they can do you one too by paying you extra for this, but this is certainly not a legal obligation in any way. All they are legally obliged to do is pay you as normal for that time but any extra remuneration is something which needs to be negotiated and agreed between you.

Depending on how keen they are on having you do this extra work, they may be willing to pay you an incentive to do this. However, if they refuse there is nothing you can do to facilitate that or to guarantee that if you agree to work linger they will pay you.

It is therefore purely down to negotiations between you and the employer.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you