Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

Am I allowed to record a conversation between me and my

Am I allowed to record a conversation between me and my superior?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
at work

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How would you use the recording?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Firstly, English is not my native language and I want to have it recorded in case I want to make myself sure about what has been discussed.
Second, I want to have it as a proof even as a remainder for himself that he said what he said.

What things do get discussed - is there any personal information about others that you would record?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not at all. All about work.
I try to be short. I will not ask you if it’s legal or not what’s going on, because this is another question.
So, back to the subject. I’m a truck driver and it was discussed one year ago at the interview that we work 10 hours a day. Could be more and then the next day less. This year, another transport manager came. He started to cut our nights out bonuses, saying that we need to work on that day over 12 h and 1/2.
This is the only reason. I guess, it’s perfectly professional

Thank you. That would be fine to record, the only times you have to be careful is if there was a specific policy which prevents you from recording at work, or you were recording personal details about others. Also if you have been employed somewhere for less than 2 years you have no unfair dismissal protection so even if you have done nothing wrong they can legally dismiss you. Therefore, they could use the recording as a reason to dismiss but only whilst you have less than 2 years service. After that it would be difficult for them to legally justify it, especially if there was no policy preventing that which you have breached.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you