Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I was due to start a new job with a travel agent company in

Customer Question

Hello... I was due to start a new job with a travel agent company in London on Monday, after signing an acceptance letter about 1 month previously and resigning from my previous job. I arrived on my start day only to be told my post was no longer available and was offered only a weeks work, which I did not take. I am now without work and trying to find other employment however I'm in financial trouble for the moment. Please could you advise on what my options are?Many thanks...
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Did you have a contractual notice period due on termination?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I had not seen or signed the employment contract, only signed an acceptance letter. In this, there is no mention of what the notice period is.

Hi there, sorry I was offline by the time you had replied last night. In this case your rights are rather limited unfortunately. First of all you have no unfair dismissal protection in the first 2 years of employment, which means that the employer can dismiss you for more or less any reason and without following a fair procedure. There are certain exceptions such as discrimination because of race, gender, age, etc but there is no evidence to suggest discrimination was at play here.

Without unfair dismissal protection, your main right would be to receive a minimum notice period on termination. This is a week’s notice for anyone who has worked more than a month and up to 2 years, increasing with every full year of service. You worked there less than a month and as such also do not have the right to receive a minimum notice period either. You were offered a week’s work, which you could have taken and been paid for, however if you rejected it then by law you would not have been entitled to any other notice period as you were not there long enough.

So without unfair dismissal rights or a right to a minimum notice period, you will not be able to take this any further I’m afraid.

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the actual legal position. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service I have provided regardless of the contents of the answer, I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. Many thanks

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? Do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the response to your query? I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks