How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 53675
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I used a company called Universal web design to design a

This answer was rated:

I used a company called Universal web design to design a webside that could allow me to video candidates for work, the web design were instructed that the candidates would be sent a link where they can make a video cv and this can be forwarded to the client, my payment was £180 per month until the total of £1500 -- at £1300 still no video and many problems as they had 8 different staff working on my site-- one of whom left and said he was instructed by the boss to blind me with paperwork and I would go away. The problem happened when they were not able to get a video link that was suitable for employers or for candidates to make a video so I could send it to the employer. I ended up losing a huge contractor as I had to go directly to similar companies or my competition and give them my clients as I had the business already waiting for the website. This is nearly 2 yrs now and they have not refunded me any money and no website

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

What are you hoping to achieve - get your money back I presume?

Please note I am mobile so may not be able to reply immediately thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
definitely to get my money back, but now on the strength of some other customers that have experienced the same and lots of witness for the shabby service, loss of earnings for the contracts I had to hand over-- they really shook me as I set up the company, got sponsored by Essex County Council and won their business category all was going well and employers locally loved the idea of Video CVs instead of the normal paper ones... The web site was vital for this business/ it seems they took on more than they were capable off and as the boss said to one of the candidates keep sending her paperwork and she will go away, he was right, I did-- don't worry about sending the answer I had given up until I got this site

Sorry do you mean you no longer want an answer on this query?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
of course I want an answer. you said you were not able to answer quickly as you were mobile, I meant you did not have to rush as I had almost given up on following the web design company

Ok thank you. You will have strong grounds to pursue them for a refund of the fees you have paid and received nothing in return for. This would be pursuable under a breach of contract claim as they have clearly breached any agreement they had with you and have failed to discharge their duties in providing you the product you had paid them for.

It will, however, be more difficult to claim for lost business as the courts can be quite strict when it comes to this and they will scrutinise any such claim closely. Therefore, as a starting point I would expect to mainly get the fees back, rather than the lost business compensation, but you can still try.

If a party wishes to pursue another for financial compensation arising out of a dispute between them, they can do so by making a claim in the civil courts. As legal action should ideally be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve lawyers or the courts. These can be summarised below and it is recommended the following procedure is followed to try and progress this matter further:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time, usually 7 to 14 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for the compensation in question. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed a copy will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. Once they are aware that legal proceedings have commenced it may also force them to reconsider their position and perhaps prompt them to contact you to try and resolve this.

As a final tip, it is always advisable to keep copies of any correspondence sent and received as the courts would like to refer to it if it ever gets that far.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Ben Jones and 5 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you