Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I have a death in service policy with my .employers of twice

I have a death in service policy with my .employers of twice my annual salary. However I am still working, but on a 4 day a week basis at the age of 67. My boss told me I no longer qualify as I am past the age of retirement. Is that correct?

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

This is somewhat of a grey area and further complicated based on the lack of any specific wording in legislation. It really depends on what type of benefit this is exactly. Potentially it is possible to remove such benefits from employees over 65, but it will depend on the type of scheme that applies.

For a good summary of your rights see here:

https://www.hoganlovells.com/~/media/hogan-lovells/pdf/publication/abolition-of-the-statutory-default-retirement-age--what-about-pensions_pdf.pdf

Scroll down to page 2 and see the section on Death in Service benefits – that explains the different types of such benefit and whether they can be removed after age 65 or not.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. Many thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is confusing, but seems my employer has decided those are the rules. However I am a member of the GMB so will refer this to them.
Thankyou for your assistance

you are most welcome and all the best