Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I am currently in a job share with someone who has just

I am currently in a job share with someone who has just handed in their resignation. I would like to increase my hours to cover the whole role, what are the legal implications for this? Would I have to be interviewed for the other part of the role if I am already in it? I am aware that there is someone in another team that would also like the role but they are not currently at the same level I would like to know where I stand.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's a local authority that I have worked with for 16 years but been in this post for 1 year 1 month

Thank you. Being in a job share does not mean you have any sort of automatic rights to the other part of the job – you are effectively doing two separate roles (i.e. one role was split into two) and each will have its own rights. Therefore, if there is suddenly a vacancy in the other part of the job share, you do not automatically get first refusal for the extra hours or have any priority for getting it. The employer could still conduct a formal and competitive recruitment process, which could require you to go through the same hoops as anyone else interested in it. The fact you are already doing that job does mean you could potentially have an advantage over them but that is for the employer to decide.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. Many thanks

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thanks

you are welcome and all the best