Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I have just handed in my 4 weeks notice from my job as a

Hi! I have just handed in my 4 weeks notice from my job as a nanny. I have a question about my holiday entitlement in regard to what is stated in my contract.
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London, UK
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Please provide more details of what you would like to know?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Ben! I've just handed in my 4 week notice as my job as a nanny. Would just like some advice about my remaining holiday entitlement, I want to make sure I'm reading the contract right.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can copy past you that part of the contract if that's helpful. Basically my contract started 15th August 2017, in the contract it says that a holiday year is a calendar year. So does that mean that my 28 yearly holiday days are counted from 1st Jan 2018?

yes, that would generally be considered the 365 day period between 1 January and 31 December. So you would have started a new holiday year on 1 Jan and you would now be entitled to a pro-rata entitlement depending on when you leave.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, that's what I thought as well. And is that a straightforward matter, is this the only way to interpret it when talking about a contract of employment?

Well, it is not written down in law anywhere, but it is generally the commonly accepted position if that is what you mean?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
that's basically what I mean. I'm trying to find out if there's a change that my employer can claim I'm not reading the contract right.

Well, they can always argue it but as there is nothing in black and white in law, usually, the courts would look at what another relatively official source says, like a dictionary:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/calendar-year

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you Ben, this is how I understand it as well. You've been very helpful, this is all thank you!

you are most welcome