How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 55169
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I work as a contractor in the banking sector. The agency I

This answer was rated:

I work as a contractor in the banking sector. The agency I use are trying to alter my contract. My current contract is 7 working hours per day but they are trying to make it 8 and change my leaving notice period from 5 days to 20 days for me and only 5 from them. I am pretty happy with my current arrangement. Can they enforce this change? I assume I would need to sign a new contract to agree to these changes?

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

What reason have they provided for wanting to make this change and how long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have worked here for 2 years and have renewed contracts several times. I think the agency are reviewing feedback from the bank and insisting we all switch to this. Some people have 8 in the contract mine says 7.

OK, thank you for your response and for the phone call request. I am not available to talk at this present time but leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Its a business to business relationship. My limited company contracts to the agency.

Thanks for your patience. If the agency wanted to amend your existing contract, they can do so in one of two ways:

1. They can obtain your consent to the changes
2. They can terminate the existing contract and then issue you with a new one, incorporating the changes.

Assuming you will not consent to the changes, we are looking at the second option as the most likely one. To do this legally, the agency must give you any required notice to terminate the contract. So if the contract allows for early termination by requiring them to give you, say, a week’s notice, they can do that and continue applying the current terms for that period, before issuing you with a new contract. If there is no clause allowing for early termination, then technically they cannot end it early and doing so will mean they have acted in breach of contract.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

My response to your query should be visible on this page. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question or whether you need me to clarify anything else in relation to it? If your query has been answered I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating, selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. I can still answer follow up questions after that if needed. Thank you

Ben Jones and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you