Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

Im an overseas nurse working for the NHS for almost 1 year.

Im an overseas nurse working for the NHS for almost 1 year. I want to find out my HIV status. I want to ask how Will it affect my employment status regardless of the results?

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Have you told your manager about this?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not yet. I havent had a test as well. I was just womdering
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not yet. I havent had a test as well. I was just wondering

OK thank you for your response. Leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you

Many thanks for your patience. If you are found to be HIV positive, it will not have an automatic effect on your job. By that I mean that it will not result in an automatic dismissal or move. However, the employer can consider terminating your employment or finding you a different role if they can show that being HIV positive carries a risk to others, especially patients. Therefore, if there is a significant chance of you passing on the infection to someone else, whilst doing your job, they can take steps to prevent that, up to and including dismissal. However, if your job does not expose others at risk, there should be no reason to change anything.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

you are most welcome