Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I am a self employed hairdresser working in a salon. i get

Customer Question

Hi, I am a self employed hairdresser working in a salon. i get paid by % ( the amount of clients I do I keep 45% and they get 55%).
When I first started there the ladies who owned the salon told me the position was very flexible and I was my own boss and I could also do clients from home etc. Over time this has changed and they attempted to imply set hours and 28 day holidays allowed a year. I was getting booked up a lot more then I would agree to and I certainly didn’t feel like my own boss. I’ve decided to move to another salon and they have told me I am not allowed to tell my clients. I’d like to know the legal rules to this.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Was there anything in your contract dealing with this?

Hello, not sure if you saw my initial query above - Was there anything in your contract dealing with this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry I have only just seen this. No there was no contract

Thank you. Without a contract in place you are basically free to do as you wish. They can only prevent you from telling your clients if they had a specific and written restrictive covenant in a contract. In the absence of such you cannot be prevented from contacting your clients and telling them you have moved on and where they can find you. There is nothing the salon can do to stop you from doing this. That is why it is so important to have a clearly written restriction in a contract to deal with this and without it, you can do as you wish.

Does this answer your query?

My response to your query should be visible on this page. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question or whether you need me to clarify anything else in relation to it? If your query has been answered I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating, selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. I can still answer follow up questions after that if needed. Thank you