Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

Assistant: How can I help? I want to work 8 hours and be

Assistant: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I want to work 8 hours and be paid for 8 hours without a break. Can I request this from my employer? Thank you.
Assistant: Have you discussed this wage-and-hour issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No I currently work 3 x 6hr days but would like to work 2 x 8 hr days but don't want to waste 20 mins on a break for which I wouldn't get paid. I would like to know my legal options before I ask my employer.
Assistant: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Employee, not a union member. I am not saying my employer would have a problem with my request but what I don't want to do is have to work 8hrs and 20mins per day to comply with a regulation.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so thank you.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
For @ 13 years.

By law the employer is required to give you a 20 minute break in the middle of the day (as long as it is for more than 6 hours). You may not want to take the break but the employer can insist that you do so that they do not fall foul of the law. As they cannot add it to the start or the end of the working day they will have to place it somewhere in the middle, or thereabouts. However, many employers do not care whether you take the break or not and all they are interested in is that they have given you the opportunity to take it – whether you do or not is then up to you.

Also, they do not have to pay you for it as by law it is an unpaid break, but they can decide to pay you if they wanted to.

So you can certainly ask them to consider your proposal and they can potentially consider allowing it, but just be aware they do not have to so if they decide against it, you cannot force them to.

Does this answer your question?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you very much.

you are welcome and all the best