How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask taratill Your Own Question
taratill, Solicitor
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 7421
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
taratill is online now

I have recently hired a company to provide a consultancy

This answer was rated:

hi I have recently hired a company to provide a consultancy service, I have now found out of their staff was working illegally she was from nicuragrua can my company get in trouble if she was not directly working for us we were invoiced by the company not her
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: not as yet
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: we are a limited company small only 3 members of staff
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats it thank you

Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. Is she still working with you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no she is not it was just for 3 months
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
they provide a consultancy to help new businesses set up their social media and data base

Provided she was employed by the consultancy at all times and not you directly then it is the obligation of the consultancy to do checks on immigration and the right to work in the UK, they will be liable in the event that an offence has been committed not your company.

Is there anything further you would like to know?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
could I have this in a email?

I can't email this to you but you are able to print off this and attach it to an email if you wish.

If you have any further questions please do ask. If i have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer, thank you and all the best.

taratill and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
we also have a question regarding a family matter can you deal with this?

Hi that would need to be asked as a separate issue as I do not deal with family law. Thank you for rating my answer!