taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

We have contractors working for us on site and in the

We have contractors working for us on site and in the factory is it still possible to ban drinking at lunch times they build exhibition stands and obviously lots of power tools are used and working at heights
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Jayne
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: no no we haven’t as we where unsure on what the law says for selfemployed workers
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Would they have to have there own public liability in place and also if an accident happened due to there drinking on site or in the factory would we be held ressponsible

Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today.

Are they employed via an agency?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No direct

Ok there is no issue at all from you banning staff from consuming alcohol consumption before shifts or at lunch time. It is clearly a health and safety risk. You can let them go if they fail to comply with this rule.

Is there anything further you would like to know?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are we liable if there cause public damage

Most likely you would be, you will need to clarify that with your insurers. It would be preferable to have a zero tolerance of alcohol on site because if you knowingly allow it you are in breach of health and safety laws and potentially could face criminal liability if someone was hurt.

If you have any further questions then please do ask. If I have answered your question please take the time to rate my answer, thank you and all the best.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank you

No problem, please do take the time to rate my answer before leaving the site so that I can be credited for my time. Thank you and all the best.