How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask taratill Your Own Question
taratill, Solicitor
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 7421
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
taratill is online now

Assistant: How can I help? i have a simple legal question

This answer was rated:

Assistant: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: i have a simple legal question
Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: If I have signed an employment contract with 3 years term and only able to resign once the 3 year term is up. Can I resign earlier? I was advised by ACAS that I can give the statutory notice period of 1 week
Assistant: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Employed on a permanent basis with a financial services firm
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. Is the employer likely to suffer a financial loss if you resign during the term?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

In that case I agree with ACAS give a weeks notice as "reasonable notice" the employer can't take action against you in breach of contract if they don't suffer a financial loss as a result of your resignation.

If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question please take the time to rate my answer, thank you and all the best.

taratill and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you