Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

Im looking to find out where I stand legally based on a job

Im looking to find out where I stand legally based on a job offer I have received and my employer wishing to take that offer away from me to give to someone else and give me another offer
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: manager
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Employee. Not sure about a union
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am already employed by this employer. I interviewed for the same role I already do, just different hours and slightly different location. I was given a verbal offer which I accepted verbally and via email as requested. The new role they want to give me is the same role but different location and hours. The hours are not suitable.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm coming up to the end of the end of my first year. My probation period is 1 year and already not formally but have verbally been told I passed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is the full scenario.... I am currently employed by a private school as a boarding house matron. I have been employed for a year and have recently interviewed for the same job but more hours. There were lots of us competing for different positions (same job) but different hours. I was successful and got a job offer. I was phoned up by HR and verbally offered an exact position for a certain number of hours. I accept the role and then send a further email to HR to formally accept the role. No conditions were stipulated. To me that was sorted, I would sign an official contract at a later date. They have now come to me and said they want to offer the role they have offered to me, to someone else and give me another job (still the same role but different hours). Can they force me to change or can I refuse? Can they legally make me change after already offering and me accepting it? The original position offered was a family friendly option with good hours. The new position doesn’t suit me or my family at all and I wouldn’t be able to work the hours offered. They know I am a mum of 3 young children. I don’t see how they can take the job off me to give to someone else. There is no signed contract at this stage.

Whilst you can argue that there was a binding contract, simply because there was an offer and an acceptance. However, due to only being there for a year you have limited rights to challenge them. They can dismiss you for more or less any reason, which means they can terminate this offer by giving you proper notice (generally 1 week in the first 2 years). So whilst they did offer you this role, as you have no unfair dismissal protection yet. It is unethical but not unlawful.

Does this answer your query?