UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

A disgruntled client sent me (my company) an email asking

A disgruntled client sent me (my company) an email asking for money (£5000) back because he was unhappy with the service we gave him. We were paid to find an investor for his startup company but, given the short timeframe given, we were unable to secure any serious offers. I responded explaining that he had received the service he paid for and offered to approach more investors, to do this we would need more time. So far we have not received a reply. In order for him to go to a small claims court, should he first give us the chance to right the wrong or can he file regardless?

He would need to give you a chance to remedy the wrong before filing a court claim. This is known as Pre Action Protocol, which you may read about here: https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/pdf/protocols/debt-pap.pdf

All the best. Please click on 5 stars

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can the claimant file a claim without fulfilling this step and not giving us a chance to remedy the wrong?

He can do so but you can inform the court that this was not followed by the claimant.

All the best