Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I started work on 3rd June, now they gave me contract to

Hi I started work on 3rd June, now they gave me contract to sign, is it standard practice to say in the contract that the normal hours are 9.30 to 5.30 Mon-Wed, but in addition to these hours you may be required to work a reasonable amount of additional hours when necessary in order to fulfil your role. There is generally no entitlement to be paid for additional hours however in exceptional cases the company will determine whether payment for additional hours is made at your normal rate of pay, or whether compensatory time of lieu is granted, there are few other points I would like opinion on please

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Such a clause is not really that unusual. For example, we as lawyers have such clauses in our contracts as standard and can be asked to work additional hours as needed to fulfil the needs of the business, plus not get paid for them. The legal protection you get is that whatever hours you work every month, and the pay you get, the average pay has to be above minimum wage. As long as that is satisfied you could potentially be asked to work additional hours, although whether this happens often or not depends on the employer and the industry.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Ok thank you does this mean that I work Monday-Wednesday but may be asked to work Thursday and Friday for free? What is reasonable additional time that I can be asked to work with no pay?

I wouldn’t necessarily say they can ask you to work full additional days, this is more to work overtime on the days you have already been contracted to work. You also cannot say what is reasonable as there is no such definition and potentially anything can be asked of you, as long as you stick within the legal limits, which are ab average of 48 hours a week maximum and as mentioned your average pay remains above the minimum wage

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
If they ask me to work eg Thursday can I say no or do I have to do it ? What can happen if I can’t work additional hours if asked to work on the day that isn’t in my contact ? Also if I work 9.30 to 17.30 what is the lunch break I should have?

if you say no, they can dismiss you, especially as you have no unfair dismissal protection in the first 2 years. As to breaks you are only entitled to 20 minutes for every 6 hours of work so if you work 9.30 to 17.30 by law all they have to give you is 20 minutes break

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Ok thanks

All the best