Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I am attending a disciplinary hearing with my work.

I am attending a disciplinary hearing with my work. Throughout the investigation there has been MANY policy and procedure errors and there's one I am unsure about. They have carried out a credit report without my permission and used it in the hearing report, is this legal and what should they have done? I feel it is a huge invasion of my privacy and is not even related to what the investigation is about.
JA: Was the disciplinary action discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: discussion with HR has taken place
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: employees
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Hi thank you for your message. This sounds incorrect to me, any search of the credit reference agencies and use of your personal data has to be both for a legitimate purpose and within the remit which you gave to your employer when you started working for them. Any incorrect access of your personal data could be a breach of data protection laws. To this end I would advise you note this alongside the other irregularities you mentioned and you may wish to report the matter to ACAS. Failing this, you can also use this at an employment tribunal should you wish to do so. I hope this helps, if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button on your screen to do this) and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.