Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Laywer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

I am a manager of a catering company, I got a new manager a

I am a manager of a catering company, I got a new manager a month ago and has been putting a lot of pressure on me and my head chef wanting things done in unrealistic time scales, I went on the sick with stress, blood pressure high and having nose bleeds, sick note for a month, my head chef did the same but different circumstances, I received a letter yesterday saying I had to attend a review meeting of my sick and when I will return to work even though my sick note states a month, at present I have been off 7 days, do I have to attend the meeting, I feel I I am been pressurised, I have work got the company for 14 year, hope you can help
Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No
Assistant: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Employee, I have rang who I would normally ring but said they cannot help me, I just need a little advice to where I stand, if my staff are off sick with s sick note for a month I wouldn’t asked them in for a review meeting unless it went over the month
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don’t think so
Hi, thank you for your message. I would recommend your employer reminding them of the sick note and that you will be happy to attend the meeting upon your return as you are not yet well. This should be done amicably. Employers should ensure that employees do not feel under pressure to return to work before they are fit to do so. There is a risk in allowing an employee back to work when they are signed off as not fit for work: if the employee finds that their condition has worsened as a result of the early return to work while certificated as unfit, this could result in a personal injury claim against the employer. I hope this helps- if you can please accept my answer (there will be a box to do so) and give me a five star rating for answering your question today Just Answer will then credit me.
I would recommend you contact your employer.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Sorry so can I refuse to go in because of my sick note x
As you have a sick note you should only return to work if fit to do so. If you return before and your condition worsens (due to the fact that your employer asked you to come in) you might be able to bring a personal injury claim against them.
I hope this helps. If you can please accept my answer. Best wishes!
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
But it’s a review meeting to discuss when am coming back, do I can say I will be when my sick note runs out
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
not go to the review meeting, I am back at the doctors on Wednesday due to mr blood pressure anyway
As your employer has a copy of your sick note they should already know the date you are coming back. Thus I would email them and remind them of this and let them know you are still unwell. Best wishes
Can I confirm, are you satisfied with my answer?
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Thank you for you help, much appreciate
I am glad it helped. I would appreciate if you could accept the answer and give me a positive rating. There will be an option to do so on the top right of your screen.