Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I am off work with a fit note until the 4th Sept 19 due to

I am off work with a fit note until the 4th Sept 19 due to work related stress. I have put a grievance in about my manager and I have been asked to attend a meeting on the 21st August. Citizens advice have told me not to attend. What should I do ?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: HR would like me to attend. I have also had a meeting the OH Nurse who advised me to take another month off
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: No union. An employee for 11 years and 8 months
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No but thank you

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

What is your specific question in relation to this please? Also, how long have you worked for this employer?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have worked for this Company for 11 years and 8 months. I have a grievance against my manager for Abusive bullying, Intimidation, Discrimination and Breach of confidentiality, this has built up since Oct 2016. I have seen HR and Occupational Health. I have been asked to attend a Grievance meeting on the 21st of August while off sick, should I attend ?

I am in court and in between meetings today but leave it with me and I will get back to you with my answer at the earliest opportunity. Many thanks

Many thanks for your patience. It is entirely up to you whether you attend the meeting. The key here is that the meeting is in response to your grievance, rather than a formal disciplinary which you are facing. Had it been a disciplinary, I would have also advised you not to attend and ask for a postponement until you are actually certified fit to return back to work. However, this is a grievance hearing and it is there for your benefit so if you would rather have it now and get things moving in relation to your complaint, you are entitled to attend and deal with it. The decision is entirely up to you – you would not get into any trouble for attending whilst off sick but equally you can postpone it until you are certified fit to attend, it just means the employer won’t be able to consider your grievance until a later date.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Perfect, thank you ��

All the best