taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

Is it still the case in the U.K., that as an employee of a

Is it still the case in the U.K., that as an employee of a company, you have to raise a grievance with an employer within 3 months of a bullying incident in the workplace? What happens if the bullying triggered a life long mental health issue? Is there no justice for people wanting to pursue a historic bullying case? Also - on the .gov website, it says that bullying is not against the law in U.K. - not good.
Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I will be helping you with your question. How long ago did the incident occur?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
1996
Are you still working there?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No
When did you realise that this had caused a mental health issue?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
1996. I became distressed / lost sleep for 10 weeks after the bullying incident. Went to my GP - he diagnosed a stress-related illness.
Ok so why have you waited 23 years before pursuing this with the ex employer?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I went to see Sinton’s Solicitors in Newcastle-upon-Tyne within 3 years of the incident taking place. I reported what happened and the solicitor referred to it as ‘office politics’. However, Section 43 of the Telecommunications Act 1984 was broken during the time of the bullying - I was alarmed and distressed by this. The solicitor missed this in his advice.
It will be impossible to claim against the employer . There are time limits on employment law claims set by statute law and the time limit on a Personal injury claim is 3 years from the date you were aware of the injury. If you were poorly advised by the original solicitor then you have the option of professional negligence, but again, given the passage of time the limitation act will not work in your favour. I realise this is not the answer you were hoping for but it would be unfair of me to give you false hope. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Do you think the U.K. will ever deal with historic bullying cases? (The effect on mental health of bullying can be as bad as abuse cases - stress, anxiety, mood swings, sensory experiences, headaches etc). Are the politicians / legal professionals getting this right? How can victims complain?

I don't make the law I'm afraid. I would suggest you lobby your MP about this as it is politicians who ultimately determine our laws.

Is there anything else you would like to know about this?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
How do I lobby my MP? - send him an email?

Yes do that and sometimes they have appointments for constituents to discuss issues, book yourself on one of those.

Is there anything else I can help with?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No - you’ve been helpful. Thank you.

no problem, all the best : )