Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I have recently been hired for a position and have been at

Hi I have recently been hired for a position and have been at my new employer for one week. However I received an email on Sunday evening stating that there have been some discrepancies that have been discovered in my employment history and have called me to a meeting next Monday (16th) to discuss how these have arisen. I was naturally shocked at this email and when I looked at the application I sent which I kept I noticed I had in fact sent the one I was working on and although all parts of it were complete I had missed a part out of my previous work history. I have subsequently sent my employer the application they should have received when I first began my job. Any advice on how the meeting could run next week and what may happen
Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No I haven’t as yet. I am employed by the Methodist Church do you think it worth contacting the HR for the Church?
Assistant: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am an employee who was offered the post on 1 August and started on 1 September
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I’m not in a union at present. Nothing else I don’t think. Thank you

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Please provide more information on the part you missed out? How long had you worked there and why did you leave?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I had worked there from Feb 18 until July 19 and I resigned from the post
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would rather email about the situation please.

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Hi there apologies for not being able to reply in full this evening, I was unexpectedly delayed in severe traffic and have only just returned. To ensure a quality answer, I will reply in the morning, thank you

Many thanks for your patience. Whilst it is impossible to predict what would happen at the meeting, I expect that they will highlight the discrepancies again and ask you for an explanation of what happened so that you have a fair opportunity to provide your side of the story. If they are content with your response and realise that this was just a genuine error, then I can see them not taking this any further and continuing with your employment as normal. On the other hand, if they are not satisfied with your explanation and believe that you were not genuine in your actions and/or explanation, they can consider terminating your employment. This would be quite easy for them to do because you have no unfair dismissal protection in the first 2 years of employment. It means they can dismiss for ore or less any reason and without having to prove anything. It does not mean it will end up that way but there is still a reasonable chance it may, depending on what they believe. Best for you is to be clear on what happened, apologise for the error and hope they believe what you say is true.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you do you think it is worthwhile ahead of the meeting to produce a report and send it to my employer highlighting how the discrepancies have arisen and stating I was under enormous pressure at home with my Ill son who has been diagnosed with epilepsy and is constantly in and out of hospital. Also I have been invited to bring a “friend / supporter” which I have arranged and knows my exemplary character. Are they allowed to input to the meeting with the discussions at all? Thank you

There is no harm in providing that information to them in advance as they can then familiarise themselves with it prior to the hearing. Whoever you bring with you may be given the opportunity to address the employer but that is down to them – it is not a legal right as such so you have to ask for the employer’s permission for that to happen. Does this clarify things a bit more for you?