Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

I have just opened a beauty salon 7 weeks ago. Im renting

Hi. I have just opened a beauty salon 7 weeks ago. Im renting rooms to different therapies. One therapist hasn’t signed her contract which i gave her about 6 weeks ago. She causing a lot of upset in the salon with myself & the other therapist working in the salon. She had a self employed therapist working 1 or 2days for her with no contract. Which i was happy to allow. The therapist would now like to rent a room from me herself. Ive very happy to let her have a room because i have rooms still to rent. What im wanting to know is how do give the therapist without the contract that’s renting from me notice without her trying to sue me for loss of earnings? Annalea
Assistant: Have you discussed this with your HR staff? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No. Im only a small salon. We dont have hr staff. A lawyer is my next step in the morning. I want as much understanding as possible before i speak to her again. I just want to give her notice for being rude to me & threatening to leave if she doesn’t get her own way. Then been unpleasant to work when i dont let her do want she wants. It al sound very petty when i put it in writing! But i cant leave as its my business. The other therapist wont stay if she does & she has been difficult with them from day one. They never told me until now they had a problem.
Assistant: Is the relevant person an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Does the person belong to a union?
Customer: No union in the beauty industry. She rents a room in my salon. She hasn’t signed her contract that i have asked her to sign every week for the last 6ish weeks.
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think thats it at its most basic.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help with this matter.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi Ross. Im glad you can help

Technically there is a "contract" in place. However, as there is no provision for a notice then you should be able to give them the time until the new person moves in without any repercussions. Despite what people think there is ALWAYS a contract but she wouldn't be able to make a claim for loss of earnings as there is no notice provision in place. Even if there was, it would be minimal and the cost of pursuing the matter would well outweigh the restitution she would receive as a result. So my advice would be to deal with this matter as professionally as you see fit and you will be able to avoid any such claims. She cannot claim to lose 3 months of business when there was not a contract to say that you have to give her 3 months notice. I hope that makes sense.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

I would be obliged if you could Click to “accept” the answer and leave me a 5 star rating (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions.

Ross

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you. The contract she hasn’t signed says 3 months notice in it. Im worried she will claim because she closed her buisness down to rent from me then im dismissing her after 6/nearly 7 weeks because it didn’t work & that the other therapist will steal her clients. I feel she would sue just to make life different. If she suddenly produces her contract tomorrow can i still give her 3 months notice as per the contract. Without her trying to claim i have cause her loss of earning?

was she your employee or just renting from you. The existing (non signed) contract changes things slightly.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
She just rented a room. But keeps saying she forgot to sign the contract or cant see it on her computer when i WhatsApp it so gave her a paper copy too. The other girl (Angela) who want to rent from me was self employed with Pam. (Pam is who i want rid of thats rents from me with no contact) Angela has no contract with pam. Pam employed her before she rented from me.

Ok thank you, ***** ***** is the "reason" you are not allowing her to stay on and giving the space to someone else?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
She has been rude to me for 4 days because angela wants to rent direct from me not herself. Shes made everyone feel uncomfortable in the salon. Shes bad mouthed all the staff to each other. She threatens to leave every time she doesn’t get her own way then doesn’t leave when i say no to her demanded. We have lost clients because of her. She is genuinely unpleasant but extremely lovely when people are around. It all sound very silly and petty & i doesn’t want to be working & any other person that works in the salon having to be in that kind of environment. I know she thinks angela is going to pinch her clients but everyone can go to however they ask for & ive made it very clear that i wont offer pams clients to angela but i cant control where clients go. Angela would be a huge assist to my buisness. I don’t really want to turn her away because someone else doesn’t want her to work with us. I cant see a future with me working with someone like her. unfortunately i own the salon so cant leave along with the rest of the staff! If angela didn’t come to rent space from me a would want Pam to stay after the way she acted towards me.I suppose im really wanting to know is. Is my best option to not allow angela to rent a room & give pam notice as its not worked out? Is that the only way she wont sue me for loss of earning?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Sorry i meant to say i would not pam not stay even if I didn’t take angela on