Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

My Partner is a finisher for a printing company. last week

Customer Question

Hello my Partner is a finisher for a printing company. last week he received an email along with his colleagues to say that we will not be getting paid. it will now be 2 weeks on Friday 11th October (which he got told this morning in a meeting) that he will not be getting paid again. the company now owes my Partner £500.00 which we havnt got to pay bills and rent. could you please advise. thank you
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I dont understand the question
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: with employees , my partner has been with the company for 4 years
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They have threatened my partner and other employees that if they stop working then they will have no money to pay them.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.

Do you know why they cannot pay him?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
they are stating that because a few months ago they bought another company out, that company have now gone bust, so the bank has closed all funding to the company that my partner works at until they have audited the rest of the companies which was cpmpleted friday just gone.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
the meeting that they had today was to say that the spke to the bank last night and the bank assured that the accounts are open. when they have checked this morning they are still closed
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.

Thank you. This is far from an ideal situation but sadly one to which there is no quick fix. Whilst the employer is acting in breach of contract by not paying them as per contract, that still does not resolve the issue of what he can do to get what he is owed now and to ensure that all bills are paid. If the employer completely fails to pay them, then he can pursue them to recover what he is owed and legally he should be able to get what they owe him. However, that will take weeks, if not months, so it is only an option in the event they do not pay him at all.

For the time being he may have to borrow money, be it from friends, relatives or just a bank or loan provider and any expenses he has incurred in the process, like interest and fees he can pursue the employer for once they have money again.

Does this answer your query?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 days ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 days ago.

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? I have not heard back from you since posting my answer and just need to know if your query has been resolved. If you could please post a quick reply to confirm I would be very grateful. Thank you