Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

On Monday I have been informed that my role is at risk for

Hi, on Monday I have been informed that my role is at risk for redundancy. There will be an official process where the company has to offer other possible positions within the company, but it is clear I will be made redundant. Would you know what is the maximum redundancy payment I can ask for? I know they pay 3 weeks for every 1 that employee worked, but considering the Brexit situation and overall position in the UK, I wonder if I can justify being paid more?
JA: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: not yet
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: an employee
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I do not belong to union

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I am working there since 23 June 2014

Does your contract entitle you to any enhanced redundancy?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I do not think so

Thank you. The maximum redundancy amount under the statutory scheme is £15,750 but that is based on an employee with 20 years service or more, earning at least the maximum weekly wage that is considered in redundancy (£525). As someone who has only been there 5 years I doubt you would be able to negotiate anything near that to be honest, especially considering they can justify this as a genuine redundancy.

I appreciate times are uncertain, but that does not give you any rights to negotiate a better pay off and in the end the only way you can try and do this is if you can show that the employer either had no genuine redundancy in the first place (i.e. a sham redundancy), or they had failed to follow a fair process.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
thank you.

All the best