Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

Assistant: How can I help? I am self employed Assistant:

Assistant: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I am self employed
Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: My name is awais
Assistant: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am self employed
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: And company is not paying me

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

What do you specifically want to know about this, please? Please note I am mobile at present so may not be able to reply immediately, thanks

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I am self employed working with company as security guard my 4 months wages is pending and they are not giving me any time frame of payment. And don't have contract copy from them but I have emails record where they agreed my payment what can I do against them
Awais

Thank you. If a party wishes to pursue another for a debt arising out of a dispute between them, they can do so by making a claim in the civil courts. As legal action should ideally be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve lawyers or the courts. These can be summarised below and it is recommended the following procedure is followed to try and progress this matter further:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time, usually 7 to 14 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for the debt in question. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to www.moneyclaim.gov.uk. Once the claim form is completed a copy will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. Once they are aware that legal proceedings have commenced it may also force them to reconsider their position and perhaps prompt them to contact you to try and resolve this.

As a final tip, it is always advisable to keep copies of any correspondence sent and received as the courts would like to refer to it if it ever gets that far.