How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 63455
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I am due to meet with my HR department to discuss

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am due to meet with my HR department to discuss accommodations that I need re my disabilities that my manager will not agree to implement. I am allowed to bring someone with me to the meeting. How do I go about getting a professional person to assist me? Would it cost a lot of money? Also, am I allowed to have my husband present at the meeting also? Thank you.
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I have with my manager and she has told me if I wish to pursue with my request she will organise another meeting with HR present.
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Employee. County Council. I work in a school in the office.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I do not belong to a union.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Ben 7.5 years
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Continue with text please
Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** employer not stipulated who can attend with you at the meeting?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was told that I could bring someone but I would like to bring a professional and my husband. How do I go about getting a professional to attend to support me?

Ok thanks, ***** ***** would need to clarify who exactly you are allowed to bring as under law you can only have a colleague or trade union representative with you. The employer can allow anyone but that is up to the so that is why you should confirm with them if there are any limitations on who your companion can be.

If you wanted to have a professional attend with you, then it would either have to be a union rep or a solicitor. If you are a member of a union you can ask them to provide a rep for you, but otherwise you may have to get a ‘pay as you go’ rep, such as from companies like Castle Associates or Slater Gordon who provide that service. Alternatively, it is a lawyer but that is rather expensive, you are looing at at least £200+VAT per hour.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** have been helpful.

All the best

Ben Jones and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you