Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

I am on Universal Credit. I have been told i have to do 30

Customer Question

Hello Pearl,My name is***** am on Universal Credit. I have been told i have to do 30 Hours of skills training then 24 hours of work placement unpaid and have to cover the travel costs,before i even get an interview.so Tescos get 24 hours free work.Is this leagal.
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No the job centre told me i have to go or they will stop my payments.
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: Sorry not sure what you meen.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I cannot afford to cover the fares.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 month ago.

Expert:  Ross Miller replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is Ross and I can help with this matter if you are still looking for help,

please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
yes please i would like an answer to my questions

Hello thank you for the information. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Sadly the UC system took over more than a year ago and it has not been working out well for a lot of people. But to address your question then the answer is that if you refuse to do the work then you may be sanctioned by the DWP. What they say is that you are not working for free as you will be receiving universal credit payments however when you do the hours worked divided by money received calculation it is nothing like what you would receive in actually employment. What may be a good idea would be to look at you overall entitlement and you can do this at your local citizens advice bureau.

They have appointed benefits advisers who are experts in this matter. If you go to them with all your documents then they will be able to assess the situation for you. The Citizens Advice also have programme called QBC this will allow them to input all of your information and do an assessment on your individual situation without having to contact the DWP. This QBC system will also be able to highlight and identify any benefits you may be entitled to but are not qualifying at the moment. If you application is rejected then the CSA can help you with any mandatory reconsideration as well as potentially provide you with representation at a benefits tribunal should this become necessary.

I would be obliged if you could Click to “accept” the answer and leave me a 5 star rating (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge.

Ross

Expert:  Ross Miller replied 29 days ago.

Ross