How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Laywer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 4052
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I am on Universal Credit. I have been told i have to do 30

Customer Question

Hello Pearl,My name is***** am on Universal Credit. I have been told i have to do 30 Hours of skills training then 24 hours of work placement unpaid and have to cover the travel costs,before i even get an Tescos get 24 hours free work.Is this leagal.
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No the job centre told me i have to go or they will stop my payments.
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: Sorry not sure what you meen.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I cannot afford to cover the fares.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Expert:  RJM Law replied 2 years ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help with this matter if you are still looking for help,

please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
please i would like an answer to my questions
Expert:  RJM Law replied 2 years ago.

Hello thank you for the information. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Sadly the UC system took over more than a year ago and it has not been working out well for a lot of people. But to address your question then the answer is that if you refuse to do the work then you may be sanctioned by the DWP. What they say is that you are not working for free as you will be receiving universal credit payments however when you do the hours worked divided by money received calculation it is nothing like what you would receive in actually employment. What may be a good idea would be to look at you overall entitlement and you can do this at your local citizens advice bureau.

They have appointed benefits advisers who are experts in this matter. If you go to them with all your documents then they will be able to assess the situation for you. The Citizens Advice also have programme called QBC this will allow them to input all of your information and do an assessment on your individual situation without having to contact the DWP. This QBC system will also be able to highlight and identify any benefits you may be entitled to but are not qualifying at the moment. If you application is rejected then the CSA can help you with any mandatory reconsideration as well as potentially provide you with representation at a benefits tribunal should this become necessary.

Kind regards


Expert:  RJM Law replied 2 years ago.

Kind regards