Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I have been suspending from my position as a pub manager,

Customer Question

I have been suspending from my position as a pub manager, can my employers legally tell me I may not go into my pub
Assistant: Have you discussed the suspension with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I spoke on the phone with somebody from head office who said it was to avoid me having to deal with uncomfortable questions
Assistant: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am employed as a manager for Marstons plc, I am not in a union
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Bo
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

when you say 'your pub' you only manage it through your job as a manager, you do not own it?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Correct
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
That is correct
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Ok thank you. That is entirely possible and legal. In general, when someone is suspended they are asked not to attend their workplace and that is an instruction to basically stay away until further notice. This is the same in your situation, just with a difference that the workplace is a pub and can also be a social venue where you go outside of work. Still, it is your workplace and the employers have control over it and who attends, and they are entirely within their rights to ask you not to attend the premises until the suspension is lifted,

I appreciate this may not be the answer you were hoping for but it is the legal position and I hope that it at least clarifies where you stand?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 days ago.

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? I have not heard back from you since posting my answer and just need to know if your query has been resolved. If you could please post a quick reply to confirm I would be very grateful. Thank you