How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 9204
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

FAO Jim - The police have advised me that I have a case for

This answer was rated:

FAO Jim -The police have advised me that I have a case for civil proceedings for blackmail and for sharing of confidential information. A business partner of mine has been blackmailing me and sharing company information with third parties. Could you explain the process for this?

Hi, in terms of stopping them, you need an injunction.

First of all send them a cease and desist letter to warn them of your intentions unless they stop (and give them 7 days to stop their conduct). A template “cease and desist” letter is available at

You can use your own letter if you wish - it just has to make it clear this is a cease and desist letter, that you demand they stop their conduct, and that if they do not within 7 days you will apply to the court for the injunction and seek your costs.

That letter may well be enough to stop the conduct - as an injunction is a serious legal remedy.

Assuming they continue, you will need to complete the attached N208 claim form (to start proceedings) and the application for an injunction N16a form and send to your county court with a fee of £308 payable to HMCTS.

You can pay either by cheque or attend the court and pay at the counter. You will need to prepare a witness statement to accompany the form. A template is attached for you to use.

You will need to detail the history of the issues with the business partner.

If the injunction application is successful you can ask the court for a costs order to be paid by the business partner.

The court will list a hearing where you attend and ask the District Judge for an order and the injunction.

If granted, the Order is then served on the individual concerned and they are bound by the court order - if they breach the order, they are in contempt of court and could well face a fine and a prison term.

If you want to draft the application then I can check it before you send it. The cease and desist letter may work so you may not need to apply but if you do, come back here and I will gladly check it for you.

I recommend you go to the local county court in person with the forms to ensure they are correct - they are fairly complex so it would save time by you doing this - the court staff should check them before they issue the papers.

In terms of data protection, it could be a breach of GDPR so you should speak to the Information Commissioner's Office on 0303(###) ###-####/p>

I hope this helps - if you can please accept the answer and give me a 5 star rating (there should be a button at the top of your screen to do this), I can answer follow up Q&A's at no extra charge and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Many thanks,


JimLawyer and 5 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you