Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

What does it mean when a new job employment contract has a

What does it mean when a new job employment contract has a clause saying the following? Can the employer potentially decrease the salary without me agreeing to it as long as they notify me in writing?
« Your salary may be reviewed during your employment and you will be notified of any changes in writing. »

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

Have you copied and pasted everything from the clause?

and is this for a new job or is your employer wanting to make changes to your existing contract?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hello - this is for a new job
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The full clause is:
« Your salary may be reviewed during your employment and you will be notified of any changes in writing. The Employer is under no obligation to award an increase in following a salary review. There will be no salary review after notice has been given by either party to terminate the Appointment. »

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. These clauses are mainly there for pay increases but strictly speaking, there is nothing stopping them from using it for a pay decrease as well. However, it is not a strong clause to allow them to decrease your pay for no good reason and it can still be challenged as a potential breach of contract despite this clause being in place. It is way too general and unspecific to just allow the employer to do as they wish, without any formal justification or process.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Yes thank you!

All the best