Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

My husband is facing possible redundancy. He has worked as a

Customer Question

Hi there. My husband is facing possible redundancy. He has worked as a Principal Lecturer for almost 19 years in a University. What kind of redundancy terms is he eligible for, based on the fact he has worked for them for this long. The reason for redundancy is large scale cuts across the university...?
JA: Has your husband discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Not yet...he has just called me and said redundancy rounds have been announced in a meeting, and he feels sure he will be one of the cuts, as he has been there for along time and is on a high salary...the University is trying to replace people who have been there for a long time, regardless of how good they are at their jobs (he's 'extremely good') so they can employ young people on low salaries...
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: I think it's probably all of the above
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think my husband is currently a Union member...
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. Firstly, I need to ask some initial questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 days ago.

Has his employment been continuous?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi Ben
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Apologies..I haven't been working for most of this year due to an accident sustained in January, so our finances are extremely tight at present...and hence my concern at what happens should my husband be made redundant now, which is looking likely...so sadly I can't really afford the payment for a phone call..
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I can answer any questions you might have, on text here though
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 days ago.

No problem at all re the phone call. Please provide the information requested so that I may assist

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 days ago.

Has your husband's employment been continuous?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Yes. He started his contract in January 2000...
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 days ago.

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience. Unless his contract or any other contractually-bound policy in the workplace entitled him to enhanced redundancy benefits, he would only be due toe minimum statutory amount. You can calculate this here:

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-redundancy-pay

In addition to that he would also be due his contractual notice period and any accrued holidays for the current holiday year.

Does this answer your query?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 days ago.

My response to your query should be visible on this page. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question or whether you need me to clarify anything else in relation to it? If your query has been answered I would be grateful if you could please take a second to confirm this by replying on here. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 days ago.

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? I have not heard back from you since posting my answer and just need to know if your query has been resolved. If you could please post a quick reply to confirm I would be very grateful. Thank you