Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

Not sure how this works :). I have been on a zero hours

Hi - not sure how this works :) . I have been on a zero hours contract with a famous London art museum - and had been offered continuous work. Suddenly the museum took on 16 new zero hours staff. However two days later as a throw away remark in a team briefing told some of us that there was no work. No email no meeting no warning no explanation. However the museum have started all 16 new people - on a skeletal amount of hours . Instead of having 5 days I have worked only 2 shifts in the last month - only offered last second to full in . Several of us who have been there over a year are furious that they have done this . The museum is run, I believe under civil service rules
Assistant: Was the zero hours contract issue discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Hi - I approached one of the gallery managers when one day shift came up . I said I could do it and the answer was I have share it with 30 people . That’s all I hdve says other than it was unfair
Assistant: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: mainly unionised employees ( those in full time employment ) there are also volunteers
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that’s it .
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I meant to say I had been working there continuously for 2 and half years
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
And that I wAs working up to 5 days a week - thanks

Hi thank you for your message, I am able to respond but unfortunately, the legal position is not in your favour. In essence because you have a zero hours contract there is no minimum hours requirement as such they could hire more staff and thus dilute your hours and that is their discretion. I appreciate this is not the answer you wanted but I would appreciate if you could please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.