Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I was dismissed for gross misconduct I had been working with

Customer Question

I was dismissed for gross misconduct I had been working with the company for 19yrs they set up aprivate penision which also contributed could I lose my pension
JA: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I was dismissed yesterday and it was with manager of my group
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I was an employee and no I didn't belong to a union
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Pis there anything in the pension scheme rules that deals with this? Please note I am mobile today so may not be able to reply until later today thanks

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I am not sure
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I sm not able to pay so if its ok with please could this done on the phone via text
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience. In general, your pension is unaffected by your dismissal, even if it is for gross misconduct. There are rare circumstances when your pension may be affected but that only happens in some public sector jobs and it will be clearly stated in the contract or the pension scheme rules. So it is useful to check these but the general position is that your pension is unaffected as it is a separate thing to your employment and is managed by an outside provider.

Does this answer your query?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

My response to your query should be visible on this page. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question or whether you need me to clarify anything else in relation to it? If your query has been answered I would be grateful if you could please take a second to confirm this by replying on here. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? I have not heard back from you since posting my answer and just need to know if your query has been resolved. If you could please post a quick reply to confirm I would be very grateful. Thank you