Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

To discuss a formal job offer Assistant: Was this discussed

Customer Question

To discuss a formal job offer
Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No
Assistant: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: I don’t know
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Can you please confirm this is all confidential?
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 13 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. Can you briefly explain your case please?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi, I recently received a job offer as a Deputy Manager of a Nursery. During my 6 month probation period they would like me to be self employed and only pay me £10ph.

I would be working a 40hr week and getting minimal wage despite the seniority of this job
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Please see attached the emails we have exchanged

I am sorry. I am going to opt out of this question for another expert to help you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

Hi, different lawyer here. Can you please clarify what do you specifically want to know about this, please?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Hello, I am not sure if you saw my query above: Can you please clarify what do you specifically want to know about this, please?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hello, I’m wanting to know if what they are preposing is legal. They are wanting me to be self employed yet I will be doing my job as if I was an employed person.

Secondly are companies allowed to deduct pay simply because of probation?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Thank you. What your employment status is does not depend on what the employer has decided to label you as, but how you are treated. So even though you may be labelled by the employer as being self-employed, you could be an employee in reality and that is what your actual status would be.

As to the pay you receive, to be honest they can pay you whatever they want, as long as it is at least equal to the minimum wage. It makes no difference if others in the industry and with your experience usually get paid more – that is down to each employer to decide and if you are not happy with the low pay, you simply do not have to take that job. And yes they can offer lower pay for the probationary period and then once that has passed to increase that – it is perfectly legal.

Does this answer your query?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? I have not heard back from you since posting my answer and just need to know if your query has been resolved. If you could please post a quick reply to confirm I would be very grateful. Thank you