michael holly
michael holly, Solicitor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience of dealing with employment law matters and qualified mediator
12609314

I’ve been in sick leave for 3 weeks but only took 2 weeks

I’ve been in sick leave for 3 weeks but only took 2 weeks coming back early, a month after I moved internally to a new project. I was in an accident and tore my mcl ligament in my leg so was on medical leave.Before I left the feedback on my work was positive. Immediately since I’ve returned it’s been negative. My colleague, called me aside and let me know the department head wasn’t happy with my working style. He and my line manager didn’t believe I was sick and had been speaking to old colleagues about me. Since then he’s bullied me and threatened to fire me for raising legitimate issues.At the end of October after one day annual leave, I came back to find that my team had mailed a false report, that breached company compliance, under the guide of the department head.I raised this is an issue and was fired from the project, under grounds that I don’t get along with the team. Although I still remain within the company but without funding for the foreseeable future, so I am therefore at risk of redundancy.

Good Morning

There are some circumstances in employment issues where it is tactically better not to react.

This is not one of them I think you need to stand your ground here and show you will not be treated in this way.

Every employer must have both a grievance and complaints policy.

I would raise a grievance generally about how your absence was perceived and how the situation seems to have changed in your absence and upon your return.

I would not make specific allegations , those involved will know who it is aimed at.

The first step would be to ask the employer for a copy of their grievance /complaints policy. Sometimes the actual request for the procedure is enough to raise and solve an issue. If not follow through with the procedure.

If there are any further points kindly reply I will be happy to respond.

Otherwise please either click accept or rate my answer on the system so I get credit for my time.

Best wishes

Michael