Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I was in a relationship with my manager at work, we have

Customer Question

Hi, I was in a relationship with my manager at work, we have been intimate a few time and spending time together I though we were in a relationship but he cut me off. I let it go thinking I just wasn't good enough for him and it didn't work out. However I learnt yesterday that he was having an affair with an other colleague at work and did to her the same thing, letting her believe they were in a relationship and then cut off communications, and an other of my colleague he tried to kiss and sent text messages inviting her to his place for a glass of wine... learning this I understand now he just used me, but he was my manager, is there here place for a lawsuit?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: HR
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: full employed
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 days ago.

You cannot realistically make a claim against the manager for what happened. Such a situation is hardly unique but at best it would be unethical, rather than unlawful. The issue is you cannot make a claim for unethical behaviour and in the end this was a consensual relationship between two adults and there are no grounds for a claim.

I appreciate this may not be the answer you were hoping for but it is the legal position and I hope that it at least clarifies where you stand?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I understand but he is the one that chased me and keep on calling until I said yes for a date. I then, be really clear with him that I wouldn't put my career in danger for just a casual thing, he said that it wasn't that, I was the one, etc etc... and lured me into a relationship, when I start mentioning to him that we should then go to HR to legitimise that that's when he stopped all communication. He said he speaked good words about me on higher meetings about me getting promoted, so I should shut up or this will not happen.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 days ago.

Sadly that does not in any way change my initial response, there are simply no grounds to make any sort of legal claim there, the best you can hope for is to raise an internal grievance through the employer but there won't be much they can do apart from perhaps have a word with him or at most discipline him

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
ok thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 days ago.

All the best