Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

My working week is 24 hours per week, shifts spread over 7

My working week is 24 hours per week, shifts spread over 7 days, Sunday to Saturday. I had an operation on a Friday ( having worked over 24hrs and overtime) and given a two week sick note. Due to my scheduled shifts, I was away from work for 18 days. On my pay slip I was deducted 2 weeks pay (48hrs) in place of statutory sick pay. I have been paid one week SSP, should I not be entitled to 2 weeks SSP.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Does your contract entitle you to anything apart from SSP?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
At time of sickness I was on probation employment. SSP was my only benefit for sickness at the time. The operation was for Rheontus problem with my nose

Thank you. If you are off sick and are only getting SSP then that kicks in on the 4th day of absence. So you would have received SSP for all of the time following the initial 4 days of absence, which are not paid by law.

Does this answer your query?

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Ben, if I am off work for 18 consecutive days and had 2 weeks pay deducted, am I entitled to 2 weeks statutory sick pay

yes you are. Does this clarify things a bit more for you?