Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

My solicitor offered to represent me for a Settlement

My solicitor offered to represent me for a Settlement Agreement on a ‘no win no fee’ basis. Does that mean I have to accept every settlement even if it is very low and waive my right to go to a tribunal?

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Please can you explain the situation in some more detail? Why have you been offered a settlement agreement and how long have you worked for your employer?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I haven’t been offered a settlement agreement. My solicitor offered to take on my case to reach a settlement agreement with my employer on a no win no fee basis.

On the second point, I have been with the employer for 13 months, however, my solicitor argues I have a strong case for victimisation at work which would eliminate the two years barrier for unfair dismissal cases.

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. You certainly won’t have to accept any settlement offered and the final choice is still yours to make. You can instruct your lawyer on what you want or do not want to accept and they must follow your instructions. So you can for example set a minimum amount that you want to accept and the lawyer will not accept anything lower than that. You are the client after all, you are the one making the final decisions and you can decide what to accept. All the lawyer can do is advise you and then follow your instructions.

Does this answer your query?