Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I attended an inquest a month ago; and the coroner’s report

Customer Question

I attended an inquest a month ago; and the coroner’s report was partially factually incorrect with very far reaching consequences; my employer asked my line manager to show me the report; but not officially give it to me. My defence union doesn’t seem eager to address my concerns until my employer makes an official move; in the meantime the factually incorrect document has been deposited in public domain essentially to ruin my career. What do I do?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I have raised my concerns with my defence lawyer and she doesn’t seem excited with my concerns. My manager is not really in a position to make a lot of difference when I explained my concerns to her
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I’m a consultant and belongs to a defence union
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There’s likely to be follow up court and tribunal sessions that will be based on this conclusions; and I seem lost without anywhere to turn to
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 7 months ago.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am happy to wait for you to find the right expert
Expert:  michael holly replied 7 months ago.

Good morning

What were the findings of the Inquest in relation to you?

Michael

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That my delay in carrying out an operation to remove the uterus contributed to the patient’s demise.
It want further to say that I only assist in elective surgery: which is not true and something I repeatedly explained during the inquest and this same question has already been clarified by my employer.
I also told the inquest that the usual practice is to have 2 consultants in the department to carry out the procedure which has been my personal experience( this procedure probably happens only once in a year or two in most units) so it’s very rare. Most people will never perform one in their entire career. The national guidance on this however is that a second opinion from a senior clinician should suffice.

Thank you for the information.

Were you named as an interested party in the Inquest?

Michael