Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I was recently interviewed for a job having been put forward

Customer Question

I was recently interviewed for a job having been put forward by a recruitment consultant. The employer liked me and said he would get an offer letter out via the recruiter. The employer then called me directly and said the the agency fees were prohibitive and that although he wanted me he couldn't see his company paying the fee. The thing is I want the job but am I OK to go direct to the employer?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: between roles
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just where I stand legally
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Did you sign any restrictions preventing that? Please note I am mobile today so may not be able to reply until later today thanks

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Not that I’m aware of
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience. You can go direct to the employer as you have nothing in place which prevents you from doing so. However, you will likely find that the employer had an agreement with the agency and if you were to go direct with them and get recruited, the agency will likely chase the employer for their introduction fees. Even though you did not officially go through the agency, they were the ones who introduced you to them and that will likely be covered under their agreement. So it is best to check with the employer so they can have a look at what terms they have agreed and if they are willing to ignore them in the event they may create any liability on their part.

Does this answer your query?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? I have not heard back from you since posting my answer and just need to know if your query has been resolved. If you could please post a quick reply to confirm I would be very grateful. Thank you