How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 69283
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Assistant: How can I help? please would it be possible to

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon
Assistant: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: please would it be possible to speak with someone on a disciplinary matter that has occurred at my work place
Assistant: Was the disciplinary action discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: yes. It’s currently taking place with HR
Assistant: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: its was a matter of a dispute with a colleague within my department.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: it Doe not have a union but they have said i can have a union member to represent me if I wish
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This has been going on since November
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have no access to a union member

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

What do you specifically want to know about this please? Please note I am mobile today so may not be able to reply until later today thanks

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Would it be possible to have a representative
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay. Will talk on phone please

Many thanks for your patience. In a formal disciplinary hearing you only have the right to bring in a colleague or a trade union representative,. If you are not a member if a union yet, it is highly unlikely you can join one now and still get a union rep as part of your membership as unions usually need you to have been a member for a minimum period of time before you get that benefit.

So you would either have to stick with a colleague, or if you want, you can also consider ‘hiring’ a union rep even if you are not in a union, similar to ‘pay as you go’ arrangement. These organisations offer such a service:

Does this answer your query?

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I still want to talk to someone.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have been on the road so it’s been difficult to keep up
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Oh thank you.
So basically I need to hire a solicitor to look into it for me.
But I have to go through the disciplinary option with a colleague and then take it from there?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am sorry it taken me a while to get back to you but I didn’t see the message until 5ish and I was on the road.
My apologies for late reply

No worries at all and thanks for replying. Whilst the matter is still internal, you can only have a colleague or trade union rep (including the ones you can hire as mentioned earlier). Only once your employment has terminated (if it ends up that way), can you engage a solicitor to get involved. Whether you do so is up to you, considering the costs, but you do not legally need one so the decision is yours.

Does this clarify things a bit more for you?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I think so.
Can I still get in contact with you should I think I need to speak with someone.
So the ones I can hire, I do they charge heavily as well?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just feel what my employer is doing is not right.

I can't say how much they charge, it may depend on various factors so you should contact them directly to ask for a price. You can, of course, get back to me if needed, just ask for me personally and I will be able to help

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you so much for your help.
Good night.

All the best

Ben Jones and 3 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you