Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I have a question, my manager offered me a transport

Hi. I have a question, my manager offered me a transport supervisor position on the conditions of 4 days work 4 days off a few months ago. I did not agree to this proposal. I asked him that if it was a proposal from Monday to Friday, yes, I would agree. He said no. After these few months it turned out that he hired a person for this transport position in the system from Monday to Friday at the same time as I work. I feel discriminated in this situation. What should I do about it? How should I solve this?
Assistant: Have you discussed this discrimination issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No
Assistant: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Im employee but not belongs to union
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No not really

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

How long have you worked there for? Please note I am mobile today so may not be able to reply until later today thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
12 years for that company

Thank you. Sadly you do not really have any legal rights to challenge the employer and this is not discrimination from a legal point of view. It will only eb discrimination if the reasons they did not employ you in this job but chose someone else because of age, gender, race, religion, disability, etc. If it was a simple preference form someone else, when none of these factors played a part of their decision, then there is nothing illegal about it. The employer has the right not to offer you specific terms, whilst offering them to someone else. After all you still have your contracted job and that is all they are expected to honour, until something new and official has been agreed. Still, that does not stop you from complaining to the employer, such as by raising a formal grievance, but you do not have legal grounds on which to challenge them further.

I appreciate this may not be the answer you were hoping for but it is the legal position and I hope that it at least clarifies where you stand?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. Thank you

All the best