How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Turner Your Own Question
Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 1368
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ed Turner is online now

I am taking my employer to tribunal over a claim of failure

This answer was rated:

I am taking my employer to tribunal over a claim of failure to make reasonable adjustments. The period in question is over 18 months although I did change location with the same employer in that time I had no adjustments in place. As a result of this I was papersifted for promotion and I also got rejected for another job with the same company. The tribunal has been set and I have a preliminary hearing next month, I am being asked to proivde what remedy I want the tribunal to award in writing by Monday the 20th of jan. What do I need to do?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I have claimed via my house insurance for a solicitor but I dont think they will have reviewed the case by Monday and I need to get this response in.
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am an employee, I am not a member of a union
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No just what I need to do to set out the remedy and what would happen if I claim for something which is later unfounded but other elements are founded?

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and will be able to resolve your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.

However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

To enable me to answer your query, please provide me with some further information about your legal issue and how you want a lawyer to help you.

What are you claiming from your employers; Wrongful Dismissal, Unfair Dismissal and Disability Discrimination?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is disability discrimination and failure to make reasonable adjustments

Are you still employed by the Respondent?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you still there Ed, I just need to know how to prepare what remedy I want in writing? I am claiming for failure to make reasonable adjustments over the 18 months. During this time I got paper sifted for two jobs, one was for more money the other was a lateral move but would have cut down my travel costs. There is also a discrimination arising from disability.

Your Claim involves Discrimination on the basis of a Protected Characteristic under the Equality Act.

A Claimant may claim damages for Detriment, Discrimination and Injury to Feelings under the Vento Guidelines.

The damages will depend on the length and severity of the harassment and victimisation against the Claimant.

This is quite a complex area, but there is useful advice on the ACAS and Citizens Advice websites.

You need to prepare a Statement of the Damages you are seeking known as a Schedule of Loss.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** explained on the link you provided?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have just quickly looked at the link, obviously, nothing is proven yet, can I claim damages for the post I didn't get if I can prove that this linked with my disability?

It is difficult to advise without a full review of the documents and a conference with you. Discrimination claims are complex. I will offer a Premium Service Phone Call so we can discuss the issue further. You should also seek the advice of the ACAS case worker assigned you case.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi thanks I appreciate that but I have legal cover on my house insurance, they have provided a solicitor, at the moment who is reviewing my case but this will take 5 days. I need to get the above in by Monday. I guess I will have to base it on what I perceive to be breaches in the equality act for now.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you so much, the link you sent me is very helpful, I will base it on what I believe constitutes breaches for now. Thanks again. :-)

I am delighted that I have resolved your enquiry. Please revert to me if you have any further questions and I will be delighted to assist.

Otherwise, I shall be grateful if you will please mark your enquiry as “Closed” and give me a “Positive” rating in order to conclude this matter.

Kind regards


Ed Turner and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you