Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I’ve been employed with a company just over a year now and I

I’ve been employed with a company just over a year now and I want to progress in my career but he’s refusing me to pay for it myself because it won’t be on their terms.. this has already caused me to miss a year already. Feel like I’m not progressing in life and just doing the same job over and over again is starting to take its toll. Kind regards
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Yes and I still get the same answers
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: employee/contractor, not that I’m aware of
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yeah sure

Please explain what your employer is refusing and why?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No phone call please
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Accidentally pressed the button apologies

No problem. Please provide the information requested

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am wanting the do a plumbing course to finish off my nvq which I have explained to my manager but he keeps on insisting that the company will pay for it but I have said I want to do this off my own back as it will tie me into working in the same job that I’m really not happy about for another 1-2 years, yes it will make things slightly difficult on their side for the company to earn money but I’m the one slaving away for a shocking wage and getting absolutely no where in life

OK thank you, ***** ***** is your specific question in relation to this please?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Why does my employer making things harder than they already are
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is*

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. Whilst I sympathise with your situation, there is little you can do about it legally. In the end, it is up to the employer to decide how you will progress whilst you are in their employment and what training you will do, plus who will pay for it. You cannot force them to allow you to do certain training or pay for it yourself.

The only way you could have challenged this legally is by resigning and claiming constructive dismissal, but you cannot even do that as you need 2 years service to do so. Therefore, the only option you have is an internal complaint using the grievance procedure, but that still leaves the final outcome with the employer.

I appreciate this may not be the answer you were hoping for but it is the legal position and I hope that it at least clarifies where you stand?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ben, that was all I needed, I appreciate your help massively, thankyou

All the best